The Berggarten was originally a herb and kitchen garden for the palace, but Electress Sophia later selected the garden as a place to grow exotic plants. The first greenhouse was built in 1686, supporting crops such as tobacco and mulberry leaves. Now one of the world's leading botanical gardens, Berggarten contains over 20,000 plants from 3,000 species. Four greenhouses hold tropical plants, cactuses, subtropical flora of the Canary Islands, and Europe's larges orchid collection with 800 plants from 300 species.
Outside the garden, we are welcomed by a beautiful floral hedge.