Stornoway is the largest city in the Outer Hebrides and the capital of Lewis and Harris, the largest island in Scotland and the third largest in the United Kingdom (after Great Britain and Ireland). About 8,000 people live in Stornoway, which was originally founded by the Vikings in the 9th century, then owned by a sequence of families, one of which built Lews Castle between 1847 and 1854 on a hill overlooking the bay and town (financed by a fortune made in the Chinese opium trade). The next owners, facing failing business ventures, gave the parish of Stornoway to the people of the town.
The castle grounds cover 270 ha (667 acres, 2.7 square km, 1 square mile) behind the castle and along the water away from town. We follow a walking path along the water, watching the working boats come in and out of the harbor and looking at the streams pouring into the bay.
Eventually, the path turns back toward the castle and we return through the forest, with occasional glimpses of the water and the town across the way.
We walk back through the scenic town and return to our ship, admiring the colorful buildings, local cuisine, sea-related sculptures, and the lone town musician on the way (note the blue sneakers). Each Stornoway Stack in the second picture contains black pudding, haggis, chicken, bacon, pastry, and seasoning.